Friday, February 10, 2012

Ishiyaki Imo

Another sound we sometimes hear outside is a plaintive, slow, sing-song, chant, "shi..... yaaaaa kiiiii... iiii mo..o...o..." which is difficult to describe but you know it when you hear it!  It is played over a loudspeaker from a truck moving very slowly down the street.  I guess you could compare it to an icecream truck in the United States.  There seem to be at least several in our neighborhood, and they appear in the afternoon and evenings.

Mmmm... but does this look like an icecream truck?


Look closely and notice the fire burning in the back!

The driver is selling not icecream, but.... sweet potatoes!    This is an Ishiyaki Imo truck.


Ishi (stone), yaki (grilled), imo (sweet potato). The potatoes are cooked right in the back of the truck.

The other day on my way home from errands, I stopped at one truck to get Kaela an after-school snack:

The woman lifted up the lid of the roaster to reveal the delicious potatoes.  The potatoes you see on the little shelf are for demonstration only - to show the two types available.
I chose my type of potato, she showed it to me for my approval, weighed it, and put it into a paper bag.    
 Add a little brown sugar, and... yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment